At the OPS we encourage children to take their place as active members of the world community, developing individual strengths and being tolerant and respectful of their selves and others.
We aim to promote involvement in local, national and international communities.
We try to give pupils opportunities to show individual initiative, to give pupils opportunities to plan and carry out projects, individually or as members of a team and most importantly to develop an awareness for the need for regular charitable giving.
Students organise and participate in charity events. Pupils are responsible for organising specified activities and are encouraged to organise events on their own initiative. Class Teachers ensure that pupils are able to take advantage of any opportunities to support charities. For example, offshoots from curriculum studies such as PSHE where the children take part in and generate their own initiatives. Last academic year Year 3 and 4 pupils organised Bring and Buy sales and their own fundraising for Guide dogs for the Blind.
Every year we will take part in fundraising events such as….
- CAFOD Harvest Appeal in October/Reading Food bank – food collection
- Support for CIRDIC at Christmas
- Barnardos Toy Appeal at Christmas
- Pancake racing Shrove Tuesday
- Regular non-uniform days
- Royal British legion annually – poppy appeal
- One off Emergency Appeals e.g. Earthquakes/Tsunami/Ebola
- The Good Shepherd Appeal each Lent for Father Hudson Care
- Supporting a school in Africa/South America as decided linked to Year 8 trips
- Other child initiated and organised events e.g. toy/cake sales
- Occasional appeals as agreed relating to the individual ideas of pupils eg Onesie Walk in aid of Action against cancer.
- NSPCC from recent assembly and workshops
We are currently reviewing the list of charities which happens on a three yearly basis. School council has been approached to facilitate this.
Oratory Prep School List of Regular Charities (2014-2017)