The Early Years Framework has an emphasis on learning through play, and begins in Nursery, continuing through to the end of Reception Year. This curriculum is divided into two main areas: Prime and Specific, each of which are broken down into subsections, to underpin development in 7 areas of learning:
The Prime areas of learning are:
- Communication and Language Development: Listening and Attention, Understanding, Speaking.
- Physical Development: Moving and Handling, Health and self-care
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development: Self-confidence and self-awareness, Managing feelings and behaviour, Making Relationships.
Specific areas of learning are:
- Literacy: Reading and Writing
- Mathematics: Numbers, Shape, Space and Measures
- Understanding of the World: People and Communities, The World, and Technology.
- Expressive arts and design: Exploring and using media and materials, and Being Imaginative.